Monday, 26 August 2013

Kit Wishlist: Daysack

A bi-weekly feature wherein I drool over something I'd kill to add to my kit. Y'know, if I had anything resembling money.This week: An Osprey Rucksack

I haven't been doing much hiking of late thanks to a (re-aggravated) ankle injury combining with working pretty much constantly. However, as my ankle is feeling far better and as I've got a few days off this week, I figured I'd get a few days in this week.

Sadly, the Yeti is still in Shropshire so I'm missing both my hiking partner and my pack mule right now. I'm not totally averse to hiking alone (at least not on certain routes), but as my day bag is (1) massive and (2) in Shropshire, there was a distinct problem re: how I was going to carry my water, Snickers, and waterproof jacket around. 

So, for once, I decided on a logical solution and bought a day bag that was (1) Roxy-sized and (2) not in Shropshire. Sadly, as I don't get to start my grown-up job for almost 5 more months, my funds were limited and so I opted for a product by those friends of super skint hikers: Karrimor (who, incidentally, made my hiking trousers and sunnies). The bag's decent: looks like it'd do the job and only cost £12.

But if I did have money, I reckon I know what I'd go for...

Osprey Talon 22


I mean. Just. C'mon!

So in addition to being rather aesthetically pleasing (and, in the above photo, in my favourite colour), it continues to be awesome in other ways such as:

  • It's got Airscape back ventilation (slightly less sweaty backs!)
  • It's torso-adjustable
  • It's made of durable material but is still fairly lightweight (810g)
  • It's hydration compatible 
  • It's also is equipped to take a bike or climbing helmet - I'm not likely to need that feature, but it's still pretty cool. 
  • It was apparently awarded "Best in Test" in the Sept 2012 issue of Trail magazine.
  • And hugely importantly: it has a shit-load of pockets for easy and quick access (which, frankly, I love in a bag). 

There are videos about its awesomeness here and here

But with an RRP of £75, this is a day bag I might have to save up for.
But from the look of it, it will probably be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment