Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Rambling Ramblings: Hiking Snacks

I have a confession to make: I've never eaten Kendal Mint Cake. 

I know, no one is more upset about this than I am, but there you go. I keep saying I'm going to try it, but I just never seem to get round to it, and now that I've decided I shan't bother to have my first mint cake until I'm back in the Lakes (for authenticity's sake, I guess) then that puts another 2-11 months' wait onto the 297 month tally so far.

But I suppose many would argue that you don't need a hiking snack anyway, you can either rely on the calories you banked over breakfast, or sit down for a packed lunch at the summit (or both). 

Yesterday, the yeti and I had a packed lunch on a rocky outcrop just off the summit of the Wrekin. This is
«Nature: Complete with bottle-holders. 
the first time I've done anything like that for about 13 years. And to be fair, the only reason we'd done that was because we'd only had a small breakfast, had then been delayed setting off, and had been in Tesco anyway for cider and cookies (once a student...), so we acquired breaded items while we were there. 

Normally I'd consider a packed lunch to be a thing that you'd do on a day hike, and as the longest wander I've done since I got into this game last year was about 5 hours long (and about 30 mins of that was just me pratting about on Back Tor), I've never seen the need to pack real snap. My usual tack is to (eventually) get to the summit, celebrate with the mandatory trig photo, then have a snack to put me on for the descent... Then have a massive meal at the pub once we're back to base (and then piss off the yeti by taking photos of said-meal).  

As such, I find that taking snacks up there is the way to go. 

I never took snacks when I started hiking last year as my hiking partner for 2012 seemed to be under the impression that stopping for more than 3 minutes at a time was an extreme show of weakness, so when I started in earnest with the yeti this summer, I was woefully unprepared. When we did the Mam Tor circuit
«Pictured: Something completely pointless atop Win Hill Pike.
back in May (backwards, we later found out), we took a bag of Haribo star mix (which we nibbled at en route) and Fancie cupcakes. It was too windy to eat the cupcakes, and so we ended up saving them til we got home anyway, though it did end up spawning a ridiculous habit of ours for future Peak District hikes (see left).

It was only really when we went for a hiking holiday in the Lakes last month that I started to get my act together.

Now my snap pocket in the day bag contains cereal bars (high energy, tend to be slow to release) and Snickers (high energy, quick boost, surprisingly filling). Sadly, the yeti is very much opposed to nuts, so he tends towards Mars Bars rather than Snickers - and then tends to get hungry long before we finish the descent. It's the peanuts: apparently you're knackering your muscles and so protein is what's needed to repair the damage and to help you get fitter. 

At least that's what I got told when I was chided for ordering tomato soup after descending from Kinder Scout all those months ago.

But anyhoo. That's me. I'd be interested to hear what other people take for fuel as they go up and down the hills, and whether people tend to be the packed lunch sort, or gravitate towards something over-priced and over-filling at the pub once they've got back down. Can't just be me.


«Stickleburger from the Sticklebarn.
This>Snap box.

No comments:

Post a Comment