Friday, 30 August 2013

"Wait... So There are Non-Hills in The Peaks?"

Yesterday I went to the Peaks. Nothing unusual in that in itself (hell, it was the second visit in as many days), but rather than me automatically setting off for the Hope Valley or even Edale, this time I set off from Fox House and wandered over a bit of moorland...

...And I still managed a tiny bit of elevation.

«

The reasons for this changing of a habit of a lifetime were two-fold: 

  1. With the yeti away, I was hiking with my mum (who was unwilling to pay the extra to travel out of the Yorkshire boundary. True Yorkshirewoman).
  2. Following the massive walk I'd done the day before (the longest in at least a year), my feet were making it clear that anything too adventurous would not be tolerated.
So we made for Fox House Inn. And during the last few minutes on the bus, I spotted a pile of stones in the distance and quickly informed my mother:  "I want to go and look at those".

«

We set off and wandered around what I think was Burbage Moor for a while (moor boundaries: how do they work?). It took a hell of a lot longer to get to the pile of rocks than we'd anticipated, mainly because I kept wandering off to look at rocks further up on the moor. But we got there in the end after battling ferns, bugs, bogs, and crossing a stream (I hate crossing streams...). 

It turned out the pile of rocks yonder was in fact Carl Wark Fort. And also that it was a hell of a lot of fun to play on and scramble around.  Seriously. I am definitely fetching the Yeti here when he moves back to Yorkshire.

«

There was even a decent scramble to the plateau - I had a lot of fun conquering it, and I was quite proud of my less-than-young mother managing it. Though as we were ascending it, two kids that had been trailing us were shouting to their dad that it obviously was a safe climb because "They're managing it!".
Apparently hitting other people's children isn't allowed, so I left it.

Mum's camera is buggered

Carl Wark was ace. I really loved it up there: plenty to scramble about on and damn decent views - I even got to see my usual stomping ground:


«(There's a lot of zoom going on here...)

I wanted to carry on towards Higger Torr, but my mum made the case that she was tired... and considering the state of my feet by the time I got home, it was probably for the best. 

Still, I know where the Yeti and I are off to once he gets back to the North. 
Who would have thought things that aren't technically hills could be so much fun...

«Still, being high up helps...


No comments:

Post a Comment