Sunday, 17 August 2014

Lakes 2014: Day One




It had to happen some time, and considering that I arrived back to reality from the Lakes (or 'heaven on earth', whichever you prefer) a month ago today, then it might as well be now.

Now my ability to post with real regularity is a little bit hampered at the moment (as you might have noticed) thanks to being more than a little snowed under with work, flat stuff (more on that another day), and life generally - but once a week seems a reasonable ask...

So welcome to the new weekly installment: Lakes 2014 - where I talk about the adventures and misadventures the Yeti and I had while living in a tent for 10 nights in the wonderful Lake District.

Today, I'll be starting off on an easier note (because I'm meant to be reading up on drug regulation) and reminisce about the day that we arrived...

Cheerful Yeti.
Although I was living in Manchester at the time, when we ventured to Cumbria, we actually set off for our Lakes adventure from Shrewsbury in Shropshire. The reason being that Sam had secured the use of his Nan's car for our trip: the tremendous Nissan Micra.

Don't laugh. I said don't la--

Ok fine. I'll give you a minute.

Better?
Right, but that car was hardier than even he expected. It may be older than my brother, but that little car negotiated Wrynose and Hardknott Pass like a tiny green boss.

Hell yeah.

Anyway, we set off at about 10am after much overexcitement on my part, and stress on the Yeti's. We surprised ourselves by making it up to Ambleside in less than four hours (!) and had set up camp before we were even really supposed to have arrived at our campsite in Great Langdale.

Tent view.


Now I could spend all day explaining how and why the National Trust Campsite at Great Langdale is awesome - and I'll probably make a proper post on the specifics as to why I love it so much at some point in the future - but for now you only need to know two things:

  1. It really is awesome. And...
  2. It has bunnies


We spent a ridiculous number of hours just sat under a random tree, watching the rabbits come and go before bed that night. It was brilliant.

Otherwise, it was rather a quiet evening. Dinner at Sticklebarn (we had the stickleburgers... and I must have been hungry because I didn't take a photo), bunny-watching, then settling in to talk about meaningless crap in the tent before we fell asleep.

Perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment