Saturday, 10 January 2015

2015: What's Next?




As previously noted, 2014 turned out to be rather a quiet year for the hills, and while there's no guarantee that this year will be dramatically better in that respect - I will at least try my best to get on it.

Those of you that follow my other blog will know about my Birthday List - a list of things I hope to accomplish before my next birthday in November. You will also then know that a few things on this list are centred around hiking and hill-based adventures...

Go Rock Climbing
I realise that I had this on my list from last year - and honestly, I'm kind of miffed at myself for not getting it done in 2014 (especially as I moved to Sheffield - which is considered a decent city for access to indoor and outdoor climbing opportunities - in 2014). So I will be making a point of getting this sorted.


Go Camping Somewhere Other Than The Lake District
I feel a bit disloyal putting that, but it would be nice to do. Plus I'll probably still end up camping in the Lakes at some point as well anyway.


Go Up 10 New Hills
I'm a bit stuck in my ways, I find a hill I like and climb it fairly often... OK that's not entirely true (if you ignore Side Pike and the Mam Tor circuit, anyway) but this has been a painfully quiet year on the hill front (harhar) and I'd like a livelier one next year.


Visit a Different Country in Great Britain
I have lived all my life in England and I have spent a whopping 3 days of my life in Wales. I need to have a nosy at the other places around these isles... And let's face it, I'm pretty unlikely to go somewhere in Wales, Scotland, or Ireland and not bother having a nosy at what's on offer hill-wise.



There's also a few others that are vaguely linked - stuff like getting fit and healthy (we all know how good walking is for this). But I figured I'd add a few Hill Resolutions on top of those from the Birthday List. Because I can...


1. Read a Book on the Wainwrights
This is cheating a little as font-of-all-hiking-knowledge Patrick got me a book about the Wainwrights for Christmas (which made my present look a bit crap) - but I have been meaning to get my learn on about this for a while.


2. Learn the Basics of Navigation.
As has been mentioned a bunch of times, I am banned from navigating on hikes because I am so terrible at it. I'm hoping that this is the year that that all gets turned around. I'm so serious about this one that I'm thinking of having it as number 26 on my Birthday List.


3. Climb Something Higher Than Illgill Head
Continuing with a theme from last year - always keep trying to outdo yourself. 


And what about this blog? One of the items on the Birthday List is to "Blog Better". In the case of Bitches Love Hills, this will mean the implementation of something approaching consistency. Ideally, I'd love to post a few times a week - hell even once a week - but I have to accept that if last year was hectic, this year is going to be ridiculous. Because of this I'm committing myself to this schedule...


4. Update Bitches Love Hills Twice-Monthly
That's right, BLH will be updated on the first and third Sunday of every month (starting from next month) - with additional posts in between on occasion. The reason for this is that I acknowledge that some months will be busier than others, that some will be filled with hilly adventures and inspiration, while others will involve me glued to my desk and only vaguely being able to remember what a hill looks like.
But I wanted to offer some consistency with the way I post (which I admit has been somewhat lacking of late) and this is a schedule that I can commit to in good conscience for now - though I'm hoping that there will soon be the opportunity for more.

(Also, I'll get the Lakes 2014 round ups finished and posted soon!)


So 2015 is looking to be a very busy year - but hopefully one that will involve an awful lot of adventure as well.


What are your hill-based goals for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment