Sunday, 26 July 2015

Lakes 2014: Day Nine


So as I already mentioned on the most recent Back at Sea Level post - and as those of you who know me/follow me on social media will know - the Yeti and I recently got engaged. Which is ridiculously exciting.

What you might not know is that we already have a date for the wedding! (eek). So why am I yammering on about this at the start of a post about last year's holiday to the Lakes?  Well because Day Nine was exactly 3 years to the day before the our wedding date. That's not why we picked it, by the way, but I realised this while sorting through the photos and got pathetically excited, and so I thought I'd share.

No more wedding talk now, I promise.


The day started with a little photo-taking session on the banks of Wast Water. You don't need me to tell you that Britain's Favourite View is going to be awe-inspiring. That's a given. But as this was the first time visiting the area with a half-decent camera, I wanted to make sure that we got a fair few photos.

I'll do a big post of the photos we took that day at some point, but for now I'm sure you can get along with just the three (above, below, and one towards the end).


Then it was into the car and off to Eskdale to start the Yeti's ideal day: a ride on La'al Ratty - aka. the Ravenglass-Eskdale Railway (or RER).

The decision to do this was partly injury-based (the previous day's soggy hike had not been kind to Sam's knee, nor my ankle) and partly because the Yeti... well... likes trains.


Have you ever seen anyone so bloody happy? It's like I'm marrying the heavy metal version of Roy Cropper...



Ravenglass was pretty lovely as well. We pottered around for a little bit, exploring the beach and the the tiny town (I even saw my first Natwest rural areas mobile bank bus (or whatever it's called)).

Given how landlocked Sheffield is, I'd not seen the sea for over a year - and I'd not been on a beach for even longer, so this was additionally exciting for me. Plus, we got to see some jellyfish - massive ones too!






We had a quick nosy at some ruins of a Roman bath house...


Then headed back to Ravenglass station to get the RER back to Eskdale.

I was a woman with a plan: we were going to Eskdale so I decreed that we were going to find the famous Woolpack Inn and have a pint and dinner there before heading back to Wasdale.

...Yeah, we never actually found the Woolpack Inn (even to this day I don't know how we managed to fail on that front). So instead we ended up in the lovely beer garden of The Boot Inn, eating burgers. Which could have been way worse in the grand scheme of things.


Then it was a drive back to Wasdale campsite - stopping off for some photos on the way...


...Then a walk to Wasdale Head Inn for a few pints to round off the day (well, after I'd got us lost, of course).






Next time: Don't go to Maryport. Just don't. But definitely do go to The Strands Inn. It's awesome. 

Flashback: VideoDay 1, Day 2 (am/pm), Day 3Day 4Day 5Day 6, Day 7, Day 8

No comments:

Post a Comment